Every employee should know some practical tips in order to avoid troubles when posting something on social sites. It is important to remember that your employer cannot fire you in all cases if he or she does not like your posts. There are some limits to an employer’s ability to fire employees for what they post online.
Many people think that the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution can protect their right to post whatever they want. Such understanding of the First Amendment is wrong because it protects from the government. However, this protection does not apply to private companies.
Luckily, there are some statutes that provide some limits on your employer’s opportunity to fire for blogging, such as:
– Off-duty conduct laws. In California, there a number of laws that bans firing employees for activities on their own time.
– Protection for political views. There are a lot of laws protecting employees from discrimination based on their political affiliation.
– Protection for “whistleblowers“. Many state and federal benefits are offered to whist blowers to encourage reporting, including protection from employment retaliation and threats, as well as the possibility of multi-million dollar damage awards.
If your situation does not correspond to any described category above, you would rather stay out of trouble. The Margarian Law Firm lawyers have prepared some useful tips which may help you to avoid troubles while you are blogging:
– Do not make fun of your coworkers. Try to not harass and offend people even if you are writing about something on the joke.
– Do not make any post which might contain racist, sexist or other phrases.
– Do not publish anything about any confidential information which relates to your company activity. There are even cases when workers revealed trade secrets without knowing it. So be sure the information you are going to post is public.
If you face legal problems for blogging, you need a law firm that will give the personal attention and dedication you deserve. One of the characteristic features of The Margarian Law Firm is to give every case the number one priority. The Margarian Law Firm aggressively protects the rights of its clients in California. The direct approach with our clients allows us to easily obtain the best possible outcome for you. Additionally, we provide a flat fee agreed upon before we begin. Feel free to contact us!
You may file your request online, by telephone or by mail. 818-553-1000