If you are the representative of the entertainment industry and need a lawyer, the Entertainment lawyer is the one you need. He/she is an individual who provides legal support to artists, employees, companies or people who deal with the entertainment industry. The industry includes film, radio, television, theater, video games, publishing etc.
In the USA which is the home for Hollywood, entertainment lawyers have their special and widely accepted position and importance. In the states, this is one of the most demanded careers.
Being an entertainment lawyer is not an easy task. One should have firm grounds in such legal areas as contract law, labor law, litigation and intellectual property. Besides, he/she should know the scheme how the entertainment industry acts.
Entertainment lawyer’s main activities are the following:
- He/she drafts your contract, reviews the contracts submitted by the manager, film studios, publicists etc for you to sign. This step is performed to make sure that the contracts are legal and fair for you as a client.
- He/she may get the best deal for you through contacting and finding a suitable studio or record labels to cooperate with.
- If you are a new “rising star” of the industry, the entertainment lawyer can help you get a close understanding of the business you are stepping in. He /she will help to choose the types of contracts you as an artist need.
- Your lawyer will support you in getting a copyright for your unique work.
When to hire an entertainment lawyer
You are producing your own book, song, performance and any other product of the entertainment industry? Don’t hesitate to find your attorney when you face the following situations:
- As soon as you get a contract for your work, from that very moment you need a lawyer. He/she should review the documents before you sign and negotiate the contract.
- If after signing the document one of the parties violated the stated terms, your lawyer should deal with the case to help you.
- Your work is your intellectual property. It may happen that someone consciously or unconsciously duplicates your work and represents it as his/her own. In such case, your attorney should be there to protect your rights and restore your ownership over the work.
- While figuring out publication or distribution rights, you should consult with the attorney to avoid confusion and sink under the burden of “rights.”
- Sometimes it may occur that someone sues you for the above-mentioned reasons. Don’t hesitate to have your attorney next to you.
When your lawyer files any document, legally binding agreement should be the base for it. He/she must explain every single term for you to be clear.
The outcomes of your cooperation with the entertainment lawyer differ from case to case. For example, if you sue another person and win the case, you gain compensation or restore your sole rights to the work. But if you are sued, the lawyer’s actions should be led to reduce your charge or prove that you are innocent. Nevertheless, there is no guarantee of winning, but your chances increase with the properly selected skillful entertainment attorney.
Find your attorney
The number of entertainment attorneys increases year by year. Sometimes it is difficult to differentiate the experienced ones from the scams. There are some steps you may take while searching for an entertainment attorney:
- Ask your acquaintances who work with you in the same field of the industry for advice. Maybe some of them had such experience and hired an attorney before. Try to get thorough information about what benefits they got from his support. Whether he/she can fulfill your expectations or not. You can also ask about the fees not to be cheated a great deal.
- Search for specific directories which offer a list of attorneys to contact with. For example, there are such Music Connection Magazines which publish a directory of entertainment attorneys in the annual base.
- Conferences related to your field can be a good place to find a good attorney. This will be a great chance to see them in person and understand whether they are a good fit for you and your case or not.
As Rihanna sings ”Shine bright like a diamond.” But we say that you won’t shine even brighter without a legal friend: your entertainment attorney.